Monday, December 22, 2008

ALMOST CHRISTMAS!

So it's been a while since I've updated our blog so I thought I would catch everyone up. I started my new job at The Cheesecake Factory and it's a been a pretty smooth transition. I work mostly in the day, which is nice cuz then I get nights with my stud husband. I have worked a couple nights and they haven't been too bad. Even the day time has been crazy because of the holiday so the night shift wasn't that big of a difference. Some people are difficult and rude but I take it pretty well. There are times I just want to smack some people, but for the most part, people appreciate what we do. I think I have a good personality for this. Everyone I work with like me, and are always complimenting me about how good I am with people. (Wow that sounded conceded but that's just the way it is. hahaha). Scott is all protected because everyone is all flirty and friendly and a bunch of them have told me how beautiful I am. One guy even asked me when I'm going to leave my husband to be with him! Scott wants to come beat up everyone. haha. It's been nice knowing I get a paycheck.

Scott finished the semester with a bang. It was kinda rough because he got sick for a week with something called positional vertigo, which means he couldn't see straight because he felt like everything was spinning. He threw up a few times because he was spinning so fast. He missed a bunch of work because he couldn't even get out of bed. His couldn't drive either because of his condition. He tried to take one of his scheduled finals but his teacher saw how sick he was and let him go home. He missed one of his finals because of a time misunderstanding, a sick teacher, and because he was making up his other final that he tried to take before. His teacher let him take it and he's hoping he doesn't get too penalized. We pulled an all nighter trying to finish papers and projects, which we think contributed to his sickness.

We've also had interesting car drama. My car has been dying a slow painful death. We've spent a good amount of time debating whether we wanted to buy a new car or just try to get my car fixed. We were under a time crunch because my car registration was expiring at the end of December. So we got my car to pass safety and emissions (BARELY). I think they were really leinient. I had to buy a new windshield. Well so after we got that fixed (which cost $180) then my car decided to break down and die. I was picking up Scott from his final that he attempted to take and we were on our way home and the car died. My dad said it sounded like an alternator. It made for an interesting and long night. We had it towed to a car fixing place and it took forever to get it fixed. We called them the next morning and asked them if they had figured out the problem. They said it was the alternator belt and it froze up because my A/C compressor doesn't work. That was the same reason we had to replace all my other belts because we didn't want to fix the AC. Especially at this time of year when it's freezing and snowing. So they spent an entire day trying to reroute the alternator belt so it didn't have to go around the AC compressor. They said my starter was ok (which I thought needed some work because it always makes noise when I start my car), and they said my alternator was running on 13 volts instead of 14 volts so I should replace my alternator. We didn't think it was that critical so we are just driving it til it dies. I went and finally got my car registered this morning and it only cost $60, which was way lower than I thought it would. So I guess that means that I am officially a Utah resident cuz my car has Utah plates. Oh well. haha. Oh and then I was driving home from the DMV and my car almost died AGAIN! My radio shut off and my dashboard headlights were super dim. So hopefully my car survives a few more months without anymore expensive or dramatic car problems.

We are headed to Reno on Christmas Eve to see my family. Hopefully the weather stays clear and we don't have car problems. We are excited to get some time away and with our family. It is a necessary vacation.

So I think that's all the new things in our lives. We hope everyone has a fantastic Christmas and holiday season. Travel safe and Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

we have a broken car too :( also the alternator we found out yesterday. it's a special one that's cooled by water instead of air, plus it's BMW, so it's gonna cost us like $400 just for the part. Luckily it pays to have a mechanic in the family, labor wise.
best of luck on the car front, and happy holidays!!!

Taryn Torres said...

Sounds like a busy time for you two. My car has been giving me problems also. Cars are such a blessing, but can be very expensive. Hope you two have a merry christmas and make it to reno safe!